Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Cleaning out the Crisper


Tonight I was looking at some leftover stuff in the crisper (notably one zucchini and half a bag of dried out baby carrots) and contemplating throwing them out. It seemed wasteful but didn't know when I'd be using those vegetables and I didn't want them to turn into slime in the bottom of the crisper drawer. Then, I remembered this recipe from a recent issue of Cooking Light and made some muffins after baby girl was asleep tonight.

All the ingredients were things that I had and the batter came together quickly. I made a few changes - added the flax seed, used plain yogurt instead of buttermilk, and used half whole wheat flour. I also reduced the sugar quite a bit thinking that the sweetness of the apples and carrots would compensate for that. Check out the original recipe if you want to. The end result was a little dense but moist and sweet enough for me. They were easier than and tasted better than I remember the Apple Bran Muffins. What a great way to eat vegetables!

Apple Carrot Zucchini Muffins (10 muffins*)

1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup grated carrot (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
2 T ground flax seed (optional)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup lowfat plain yogurt (or equal amount non-fat buttermilk)
2 large eggs


Preheat oven to 325. Combine both flours and the next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add grated apple, grated carrot, shredded zucchini, and flax seed to flour mixture; toss well. Combine canola oil, yogurt, and eggs in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Spoon batter into 10 prepared muffin cups (greased pan or paper liners). Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

*You can alternately make one loaf by pouring the batter into a greased loaf pan and baking at 325 for 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack and then cool completely before slicing.

Post a Comment

0 Comments